Vegan and gluten-free with homemade ketchup
Ingredients for the cauliflower nuggets (serves for two):
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour, or your favourite gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- one pinch turmeric powder
- sea salt, to taste
Preparation of the cauliflower nuggets:
- Preheat oven 400°F/200°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place cauliflower florets in a bowl, toss with mayonnaise and set aside
- In a small bowl combine breading ingredients: brown rice flour, yeast flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Dip cauliflower florets in breading and place on baking sheet, repeat until all florets are coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes turning halfway.
Serve with healthy homemade ketchup as suggested in the recipe below or barbecue sauce.
Healthy Kethup Recipe
Ingredients for the ketchup:
- 4 1/2 pounds organic ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 of a cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- dash of red pepper
- 1/8-1/4 cup Stevia blend, or sweetener of choice (sweeten to taste)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
Preparation of the ketchup:
- In a small saucepan add vinegar, cinnamon stick, cloves and celery seeds. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Quarter and core tomatoes and put in a large pan. Add onions and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes or until tomatoes reduce.
- Put tomatoes and onion mixture through a food mill or sieve and discard seeds and skins making a pulp. Return the pulp back to the pan. Measure the depth with a ruler. If it is 2 inches/approx. 5 cm high, then you want to cook it down by half, so in this example, you would cook it down to 1 inch/approx. 2,5 cm.
- Stir occasionally (This could take a little over an hour to accomplish). Once it has cooked down, add your strained vinegar (discard spices), add salt and cook until you reach your desired thickness (about 30 more minutes). Keep in mind, the sauce will thicken as it cools down.
- Add Stevia blend or sweetener of choice and stir.
ENJOY this tasty meal!